The Untz Challenge VIII: Turn Your Dreams into a Reality
TheUntz.com gives electronic music producers the chance to perform at major U.S. music festivals this summer
You can almost smell the freshly mown grass and patchouli. Festival season is right around the corner, and that means TheUntz.com is bringing back The Untz Challenge. Once again, we are giving two rising stars a life-changing opportunity.
Our prize package includes sets at the biggest and best summer music festivals taking place across the United States—and this year, we've picked the cream of the crop. The two winners of The Untz Challenge VIII will be playing at SIX major music festivals across five months.
Our two winning acts will hit Summer Camp Music Festival (May 26-28 — Chillicothe, IL), The Untz Festival (June 2-4 — Mariposa, CA), SONIC BLOOM (June 15-18 — Spanish Peaks County, CO), Electric Forest (June 22-25 or June 29-July 2 — Rothbury, MI), ARISE Festival (August 4-6 — Loveland, CO), and Imagine Music Festival (September 22-24 — Atlanta, GA).
Beginning February 20th continuing until March 10th, The Untz will accept submissions for the competition via SoundCloud. During the back half of March, fans will vote on their favorite tracks via TheUntz.com.
A total of 2 slots will be given away to the winners of this contest. The grand prize, which includes a performance slot at each of the participating festivals, will be won through the fan voting process. The second place winner is chosen by the staff of TheUntz.com, and will have the opportunity to perform at the same dates along the run.
Important Dates for The Untz Challenge VII
February 20 – Track submission begins
March 10 – Track submission ends 11:59pm PST
March 22 – Voting begins
April 3 – Voting ends 11:59pm PST
April 6 – First and second place winners announced
Now then, here are the rules and regulations of the competition:
- ORIGINAL tracks can be submitted beginning February 20th, and we will continue to accept submissions until March 10th at 11:59 pm PST. (DO NOT SUBMIT TRACKS BEFORE 2/20/16)
- Submitted tracks must be UNRELEASED prior to the contest start date, which covers singles, EPs, LPs, and compilations on major and independent labels, free/paid releases via Bandcamp, and free downloads/streams on SoundCloud.
- Tracks must REMAIN UNRELEASED (except on SoundCloud) until the contest is over (April 3).
Artists retain the rights of ownership of their work.
- Please submit only ONE track per DJ/producer. If you submit more than one, only your first entry will be considered—and it will annoy us to no end, which is not a good thing.
- This is strictly a contest for PRODUCERS. No live bands, please. There are other contests for that. This is not one of them.
- DO NOT submit MIXES, REMIXES, or STOLEN WORK. (Yes, we understand DJs create mixes, but we want ORIGINAL, SINGLE tracks for this particular competition.)
- Each track may contain samples licensed, royalty free samples, but no unauthorized proprietary samples. All submitted tracks MUST NOT infringe US copyright law. Any track removed by SoundCloud for potential copyright infringment will also be disqualified from this contest.
- The Untz staff will compile a list of the best submissions.
- Only votes originating from verified email providers (i.e. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Live, AOL, university emails, etc.) will be counted. Blatant use of unverified emails/spam accounts will result in disqualification.
- Voting by the public will take place from March 22 - April 3
- NO bot voting
- NO voting incentives (i.e. "each voter gets a free iPad")
- NO voting raffles (i.e. "we'll take one lucky voter to each festival with us")
The contest is restricted to residents of the United States. Winners will be responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the festivals. Additionally, they will be responsible for bringing whatever equipment necessary to perform at the various festivals, within the specifications outlined in the technical riders and contracts of each individual event. Each festival reserves the right to choose when and where to schedule the winners' slots, including but not limited to, pre-parties, after-parties, and silent discos. The winners may not be afforded full artist privileges at each event—certain events will grant the winners access to hospitality, accommodations, and restricted areas beyond that of regular ticketholders, but each individual festival will communicate restrictions/privileges with the winners.
One of the main objectives of TheUntz.com is to give exposure to promising talent in the electronic music scene. The spirit of competition fostered by these annual challenges is all in good fun, because at the end of the day, fans from around the world are going to get a chance to hear amazing, cutting-edge productions from tomorrow’s biggest stars. It goes without saying, but cheating will NOT be tolerated when it comes time for voting. We've seen it all, so this is just a friendly reminder that big brother is watching, and he knows his programming. Just because this is an electronic music competition, it doesn’t mean we want robots voting. Breaking any of these rules will result in automatic disqualification. Immediate disqualification is a harsh penalty, so make sure you stay within the boundaries.
Cheating WILL NOT be tolerated. TheUntz.com has algorithms in place to detect falsified or "bot" voting. Any competitor even suspected of cheating will be disqualified, so make sure nobody is mucking up your chances of winning with or without your permission.